I would like to know when it became exceptable not to send someone a thank you note or even say thank you when they sent you a gift or did something nice for you. As I shared with all of you I worked really hard to make a tone of jam and being me I shared it with a LOT of people, co-workers and mailed it off to family.
All of my co-workers said thank you but only one took the time to write a thank you note along with some cookies she had made. That was very nice and stands out to me. I gave out ~13 jars of jam to co-workers of which everyone said thank you at the time they got it and most were sure to tell me that they liked it after they had tried it. I also MAILED (as in had to get boxes, write a card inside it, package and go to the post office) several boxes to family (Jerry's Mom, my Mom, my Dad, Sister, my Auntie and I sent my brothers to my Dad who gave it to them).
Reactions:
- Sister living on her own in CO was excited to get a package and left a nice thank you message on FaceBook.
- Jerry's Mom living in KY was VERY EXCITED and called us to tell her she was so surprised and couldn't wait to try all the kinds we sent her.
- My Dad (well really my step mom) said they got the packed and later said that my Dad commented that strawberry was his favorite and basically why didn't I sent them strawberry instead of blueberry. Gesh..... I don't see any of your other kids sending you anything with such love in it.
- My Mom called to say she loved the jam and she could hardly keep my younger sister out of it.
- My Auntie (on mom's side) sent a very nice hand written thank you note in the mail.
- Brother and Sister in law.... a BIG FAT NOTHING!!!! Not even a note on FaceBook. This is why I am so aggravated.
What little I did get for my wedding I was sure to write out thank you notes even to those I said thank you to right as I opened the gift. I send my Dad thank you notes every time he sends me something or I at least call and say thank you to let them know I got it. I am very disappointed with the world today, I want it to go back to the way it was years ago when we all made little gifts and said "Thank You".
I challenge each and everyone of you to sit down and write someone a thank you note for something nice they did for you. When I say write I mean break out the pen and paper.
I remember the days of being so excited to get a card or a letter in the mail. Now a days all we seem to get is junk mail and bills but when a special card does come it makes my day. I think a lot of people have become self absorbed (case and point my sister in law) and we forget that a simple "Thank You" means a lot to those who do nice things for us.
Just a thought....
5 comments:
I couldn't agree more. And even though there is a big movement to turn all kinds of thank-you's and invitations into something via email (I seriously got a formal-ish wedding invite to my Gmail account and found it in my Spam!), I still think getting something in the mail is a thousand times more meaningful. So you are not alone my friend, I promise!
If you want, I can send you a thank you note for writing this post! hehe
ICLW #56
I admit, I'm a horrible thank you card writer. I know it, and it drives my MIL nuts. Society has become very unthankful in general and people don't read Emily Post's etiquette book anymore.
I accept your challenge to write my thank yous
I completely agree! I made my sister-in-law a menu board (you can see it on my blog) for her birthday last month and didn't receive a thank you card or acknowledgement and it does bug. Not to pat myself on the back but I had two friends that knew about my m/c last week and they brought cupcakes and little gifts by Saturday for my birthday. I wrote thank you cards yesterday and sent them off today. I hope it brightens their day. :)
Thank you ladies for your feedback now I don't feel like I am the only one that feels this way. It just really makes me not want to do anything nice for those that can't say thank you. It makes me feel as though everyone feels to are entitled to receive my Jam, Cakes, Cookies and anything else I make for that matter.
For those who are are going to send out a thank you note, I know it takes time but you really will feel better for doing so and the person who receives it will feel good for the nice things they did for you :-)
Good luck
i'm sorry for people's lack of thoughtfulness. i've come in contact w/a few over the years. it's like, you don't do something nice to get a thank you, but how can people be so rude and selfish to not acknowledge they were thought of.
it makes you question a lot about that person and their character.
Post a Comment