![]() | |||||
| Our strawberries laying out to dry |
This year for the first time I have started canning. Last weekend Jerry and I made the best strawberry jam from local strawberries, honestly it was the sweetest jam I have ever had and I know what went into it (no high fructose corn syrup that is for sure). We are big on watching documentaries and let's just say the things that go into our food is scary and we have started eating Organic and/or Local (watch Food Inc. for starters). So this summer we are taking advantage of when things are in season and we are going to can and freeze the produce to not only eat healthy but to save money (it isn't cheap to eat right).
![]() |
| Blueberries washed and ready to go |
![]() |
| Mangos waiting for my cutting challenge |
In the past I had also made spicy mango chutney for Christmas gifts (did up baskets of home made items) and whole foods had Mangos on sale today and I thought I would give that a shot again. I think this time it will be easier because I watched a video on how to cut and peel a Mango (hey don't laugh, have you ever tried to peel and cut one; it's not easy LOL).
My friends used to joke with me and call me Martha because I love doing all kinds of crafts and baking and cooking and I always try to make thoughtful gifts. Hey she might not be the nicest lady but she is talented so I do take that as a compliment. I am going to be one of those moms that makes my own baby food (or at least give it a try).
The canning and cooking marathon will probably start tomorrow as tonight we are going out for Sushi (trying to go once a week before I no longer can have sushi again), DATE NIGHT! I will keep you all updated on the canning progress we make tomorrow...



3 comments:
I am so excited for our farmers market to be starting again (tomorrow). Nice to see someone else appreciating the wonders of good local food!
#117
Just stopping in from ICLW. The strawberry and spicy blueberry jam sound delicious. I'm so sorry for your recent loss. I hope your date night was fun...the sushi sounds delicious too.
Thank you ladies. I love the farmers market, it is just a fun place to go walk around and find some great food. The blueberry jam is WONDERFUL! More to come on all my canning :-) Now I need to get back to the strawberry jam.
Post a Comment